Wednesday 19 April 2017

Fundraising update!

It's been a while since my last post.  To be honest, things have been a little frantic lately.  I am a full time working mum, who is also completing the third year of a Doctorate in Education, so around uni deadlines-and pretty much always, it becomes a bit difficult to squeeze everything in.  We also lost my beloved granddad at the end of February, so I felt that I might not be as positive as I usually am, so took a little bit of a blogging hiatus whilst coming to terms with things.  That said, deadlines for the fellowship are looming and continual fundraising has been underway constantly in the background! 

In January and February, I hosted two toy fairs that were generously hosted by Funky Town (now Zippy's Playworld) in Chester and raised £235.  Thank you so much to everyone who donated their new or pre-loved toys in order to help with the event. It was fantastic and a great way to raise funds for a charity that will help to educate children in less fortunate circumstances!

I also held a Family Fun Day where two fantastic bands came to entertain the crowds; we had stalls, games, raffles, facepaints and balloon models that all helped to raise a further £243. Thank you again to everyone who came and made the day a success and to the fabulous performers!


I've also been car booting and raising funds through online auction sites and have raise a further £122 this way.  Getting up at 5am on a Sunday is gruelling work, but it'll be worth it if I meet the fundraising target!

So far I've managed to raise £1430 to fund my fellowship place, so I thought I should share with you where all this money is going! 

£1295 = Cost of the LRTT Fellowship place which covers: 

  • Accommodation
  • 3 meals a day
  • All transport in Uganda
  • Team Leaders
  • Airport pickup and drop-off
  • LRTT conference costs
  • 24hr support in Uganda
  • Pre-departure training

£597 = Cost of flights

£350 = Cost of vaccinations- Yellow Fever, Hepatitis, Typhoid, Tetanus, Cholera, Rabies, Menigitis, malaria (Approximately £50 per vaccine dose and some have multiple doses to be administered).  

£75 = Cost of insurances

Any additional money raised will be either spend on resources to take with me or donated directly to the charity.  I am obviously using my own money for anything else whilst in Uganda.

As ever, the other wheels keep turning.  As all teachers will know, exam season is our busiest time of year, so I will continue to keep working away at Tute.  I am currently applying for ethics approval for my Thesis and, at the end of this month, I will be away for ten days having been awarded a research scholarship in Estonia, where I will be working on a project called 'Inside-Out, Outside-In.'  It's a project involving eight European Universities and aims to explore diversity and inclusion in education.

Life is certainly busy at the moment, but I know it will all be worthwhile once I get to Uganda! I am still looking for ways to raise further funds and meet my fundraising target, so please share this blog and my GoFundMe page and donate, if you'd like to help me get a little bit closer.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment